Things to remember in 2019

1.04.2019




HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I wanted to give 2019 a good, positive start with this post, which is not a resolution post. To be honest, like a lot of people that I have seen, I don't reeeally believe in New Years resolutions per say. The notion that you can suddenly become a whole new person just because there's a different number on the end of 201 seems a little far fetched to me. Especially because I think that if you want to make a major change in yourself or your life, you can do it any day of the week, it isn't restricted to the 1st January. You haven't missed your chance if you don't make a change on the first day of the year! 

Instead, I wanted to collate a few things to remember and refer back to throughout the coming year, little bursts of inspiration or reminders that I know I need to look back on as well. So here goes...

1) Things take time. 

This is a particularly hard one for myself. If you know me, you will know that I am not the most patient banana in the bunch. So this year I am really trying to take a different perspective and realise that nothing just happens. As well as this being a favourite quote of mine about fate and 'everything happens for a reason' type of thing, it is also entirely relevant to goal-getting and staying on track. 

If you truly want something, whether it's a promotion at work, a killer summer body or 5 million followers on Instagram; it isn't going to happen overnight. You have to practice patience and perseverance and realise that although there may be set-backs and days where you feel like giving up, if you stick to it and your goals are realistic, you will get there one day. 

2) A lot can happen in a year. 

Something that seems like the end of the world right this moment, perhaps might not seem so bad in a years time. Going through a breakup? In a years time you might have realised why it was probably the best thing for you! Lost your job? In a years time you might be living out your dream life in a job you love more, it was just the boost you needed to start something new. A personal mantra I have been trying to live by the past month or so is "will this matter in 5 years time?" Every time I feel myself stressing or getting worked up about something or at someone, I ask myself will this matter in 5 years time? And if the answer is no, then it puts the situation in perspective as to how long I will let it affect me/ drag out for. 


Another thing to realise is that a lot of people will come and go in a year. People you consider your best friends now you may not speak to in a few months time, and equally people you used to speak to might decide to make their way back into your life. I know that I have become less close with certain people who I considered good friends of mine over the past year or couple of years. We all have different things going on and different priorities and it's just part of life that sometimes people grow apart. And it's just about accepting that change and realising that as well as losing people, you will also gain a lot in the year ahead also. New experiences and journeys you are to take will allow for new people to enter your circle and whoever is meant to be in your life will remain permanent. 

3) Only you can control your own destiny. 

So the last one is kind of linked to the last paragraph in number 2, and it's all to do with not getting too caught up with others. It is fab to have really really close friendships and great relationships with family and loved ones, but it is also essential to realise that it is within yourself to create your own happiness or destiny. You can't always rely on people for your happiness or success, it's great to have a support system, but what happens when they have their own stuff to focus on or they've had a bad day and can no longer provide your source of happiness? You don't want to rely on someone else so heavily that when they are not there you feel helpless and stuck. 

Also, if you're constantly living off of others or trying to please people then you're less likely to achieve what you set out to in life. Unless that is your sole purpose, and in that case then proceed! But I think that it is so important to be selfish sometimes, you can constantly put people before your own happiness, but you will be disappointed because if you expect the same in return then it is rather unlikely that you will receive it. Ultimately, and as blunt as it sounds, most people are living for themselves. They have their own end goals in mind, they put their own health and happiness first, and you fit in amongst the other things that they prioritise. You should stop doing things simply to please other people, and start fulfilling your own destiny, whatever that may be. Now I am not saying to not care about anyone else, that is so far from the point I'm trying to make, I'm just saying that if you want to achieve something then don't be held back trying to please other people who are only looking after their own destiny. 

And with that, let's smash 2019 ❤

Vicki 
x x x

Post a Comment